Lesson for Preschool Age Children and Under
Memory Verse – When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. – Psalms 56:3
Our lesson this week is brought to the kids by one of their large group leaders, Ms. Kala! You can view it by following this link – July 19th – Ms. Kala is teaching the kids about the armor of God this week. I am so excited for our kids to see a familiar face from church! We are using the same video for the younger kids this week, so if you have a child in Kindergarten thru 3rd grade, I encourage you to also watch this short video with them about the Armor of God. The questions are the same for both age groups, but you may want to vary how deep you go in the conversation based on your kids ages! I also kept the songs the same, I hope the older children enjoy some throwbacks to songs they sang when they were younger. The actions portion is different for the older kids.
- Do you think prayer is important?
- Do you remember any of the pieces of the Armor of God.
- Belt of Truth – Helps us make sure we know God’s word. – We need to put this on first to be truthful and remember the truth we know about God. We can know the truth by reading the Bible, the Spirit telling us (giving us a conscience), or learning from other people who believe in God.
- Breastplate of Righteousness – Protects us and keeps us safe – Jesus will help protect us – If you play hockey you probably have something that protects the part between your neck and tummy. This piece also protects your heart. We can protect our heart by confessing any sin we have, or saying sorry to God for things we’ve done wrong.
- Shoes of Peace – helps us know that we are safe because peace helps us feel calm – First, we need to protect our feet and go where God would want us to go. Our feet would get sore if we walked around with no shoes on, so we need to avoid places we know we shouldn’t go to keep our protective sandals on. Second, we need to be peaceful with others. If there is someone you’re fighting with or if you’ve hurt someone’s feelings you need to go ask for their forgiveness, or forgive those who have wronged you. Third, if you find things are a little hectic God is the peacemaker, and if you ask He can give you all the peace you need.
- Shield of Faith – helps cover us with God’s armor and protects us from things the devil may throw at us – Just think of what you could do with a real shield. If someone throws a snowball at you, you can lift the shield so it doesn’t hit you at all. We can use the shield in the same way when bad things come our way like temptations or doubt. Sometimes the devil will try to make us think that there isn’t a God, or that he doesn’t love us because we’ve done something wrong. We need to hold up our shield and stop these thoughts when this happens and remember that God loves us no matter what.
- Helmet of Salvation – This is what we use to protect our minds. Sometimes we need to remember that we’re God’s children and He loves us and will help us. We also need to remember what we’ve read in the Bible and learned from our parents and church about God. That will help us make the right decisions.
- Sword of the Spirit – The sword is both the Bible and having the Spirit of God work in us. We can cut anything off that isn’t good in our lives. By remembering God’s word (the Bible) we will be able to tell what is good and what is bad.
- What activates the Armor of God? – Prayer
- Work on the Memory Verse Ms. Kala gave with your child this week that is listed at the top of the page.
- Find things around your house to dress up in the Armor of God. Each day talk about what each piece does for your child.
- Re-Read Ephesians 6:10 – 19 with your child this week.